Friday, December 7, 2012

Enough of a rebel to paint on walls, but not enough of a rebel to do it without permission

Last night was the final Nutcracker dress rehearsal, so I was putting finishing touches on set pieces. I did not do all of the touch-ups though because, apparently, it is not desirable for dancers to have to dance around the lady crouched on stage with a bucket of paint.

Yesterday I was showing students images of Keith Haring's art. The fifth graders were pointing out that graffiti is illegal. So I explained, "If you don't have permission to paint on the wall, it's called graffiti and it's illegal, but if you get permission, it's called a mural and people will thank you for it." Then I realized, I'm enough of a rebel to want to write on walls, but not enough of a rebel to do it without permission.

So, with no wall to paint last night, I drew some cats,which in itself is an act of rebellion.


No comments:

Post a Comment