Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Blue Heron Dance will be performing May 8-10. Just finished up the set painting with the help of my friend Jan. When I showed our creative director my mock-ups, she said "I wasn't expecting it to be so dark. You know it's a comedy. We wouldn't want it to be at all spooky." Of course, she was right. I had chosen a palette of three colors, the coolest in the back layers and a warmer green in the foreground, to give a sense of depth. But indeed, after 2 days of painting flats at the cavernous O Space, it was looking pretty spooky and I was feeling pretty nervous. I kept telling myself it would cheer up with the addition of those warm colors. But it can feel very sink or swim working on such a large scale (7 thirteen foot tall flats) with so little time. And then voila, it suddenly all came together. Then the dance dads put them up and Jan and I touched up the seams. And now it's showtime.



No comments:

Post a Comment