Tuesday, April 17, 2012

This Is Not Your Grandmother's Quilt

"Why Swim Upstream?"
The beginnings of a new body of work.  I am incorporating fabric, painting and text to accomplish storytelling.   I consider this work to be an homage to Faith Ringgold and her storyquilts (a personal hero who was herself paying homage).   I had a lot of figuring out to do with using mixed media materials and not having everything fall apart.  Then there was the issue of having to fight my impulse to paint really juvenile, thumbing-your-nose-at-convention subject matter (still funny to me but apparently not to others).  And finally, I kept running into the challenge of trying to keep it from looking too "craftsy" or outdated, like macrame.  For one thing, I would like to charge "fine art" prices and not "quilted potholder" prices. 
"Tar Beach #2" by Faith Ringgold
 

No comments:

Post a Comment