Thursday, March 17, 2011

Small Town Studio


The figure drawing studio I've been going to is held at Grange Hall.  It's an old funky building near the ferry dock.  We get there a little early to help set everything up.  The furnace is roaring, blasting in the main room, plus a space heater next to the model stand, and the kitchen stove and oven are turned on for extra oomph (it takes a lot of heat to get a stone cold room up to bikini-comfort warm).  Mostly the same regulars revolve through, both artists and models, and the atmosphere is very friendly.  The models use the restrooms to change into their robes.  The women's restroom is decorated with artwork by a local artist and a sign reading  "If it's yellow let it mellow. Sensative septic system.  Flush infrequently".
After all that, it feels like a shame to draw portraits from the shoulders up instead of complete figures, but that's what I find myself doing first chance I get.  Most of the poses are twenty minutes, so there is only so much ground one can cover, so to speak.  Also, I am trying to get back to a level of drawing that is more about line quality than large areas of contrast.  I don't concern myself with the drawing being a very good likeness, but am finding myself thinking, "Wow, that really does look like her."  So much so, that I hesitate to post them on the internet, for privacy concerns.  But oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment